Friday, March 30, 2012

Burden In My Hand SA


Christian DeLano
G Block
Irony Song Analysis
3-30-12


In the song Burden in My Hand by soundgarden, lead vocalist Chris Cornell, employs the use of literary devices such as desolate imagery, clever irony, and murderous characterization. The devices are used to show that even the people who kill have remorse for what they have done.
Cornell uses desolate imagery to show how lonely the killer was after he committed the awful crimes “Close your eyes and bow your head, I need a little sympathy, cause fear is strong and love's for everyone who isn't me”. Cornell is trying to say that the man wants people to feel bad for him, because he wants someone to share his sadness with. Also “love's for everyone who isn't me” implies that love is not for him because he killed the only person he has ever loved. Another example of imagery within the lyrics is “I left her in the sand just a burden in my hand” which is meant to tell us that the killer now has to live with murder on his conscious. “Crack a smile and cut your mouth, and drown in alcohol” shows us that alcohol has either influenced the killing of the lover, or is being used to deal with the burden of committing murder.
Another device used by Cornell is the use of characterization. He uses murderous characterization to present the killer in a more sinister light. The Chorus “I shot my love, today, would you cry for me, I lost my head again, would you lie for me, I left her in the sand just a burden in my hand, I lost my head again, would you cry for me” is a prime example of the use of personification in the song. Cornell assumes the role of the killer and this segment, and is describing himself and the acts he’s done, to the listener. The lyrics “Just a burden in my hand, just an anchor on my heart, just a tumor in my head” also serves as characterization, and once again shows us that the killer feels remorse for killing his lover.
One of the most prevalent devices in the song is Cornell’s use of clever irony. “Follow me into the desert, as thirsty as you are” is an example of irony because it couples two things that when placed adjacent to each other, combine and make something that you would most likely not want to do. Another example is found in the lyrics “I shot my love today, would you cry for me”. This line is considered ironic because normally a killer would not want you to feel bad for him after he has committed murder, especially someone considered to be his lover. “So kill your health and kill yourself, and kill everything you love” Is Irony because for the majority, most people want to remain alive, and in good health while living.
Cornell uses desolate imagery, murderous characterization and clever irony, to show us the remorse that the killer has for the crime he has committed, and how he has to spend the rest of his life with that burden in his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment